- They are jealous of rich people’s money or possessions.
- They are jealous of rich people’s lifestyles because they seem more fun than theirs.
- They think the rich are rich only because they’ve gotten breaks they haven’t.
- And they believe the rich to be greedy for amassing wealth, implying, “If I had their money, I’d donate to everyone.”
- Don’t believe me?Then ask 10 friends this question: “If you were suddenly ‘hit the lottery wealthy,’ what would you do with that money?”
In such conversations over the years, I’ve heard most people say things such as:
- I’d quit my job and never work again.
- I’d build my dream home—it would be huge!
- I’d buy myself a new Lamborghini.
- I’d travel around the world on my yacht
- I’d never cook again; I’d eat out at restaurants every night.
Keep the conversation going and you might, just might, hear someone say, “I’d find a way to give lots of that money away,” but that’s pretty uncommon.
What I have yet to hear in a “fantasy rich” conversation is this one thing: “I’d invest it.”
Which is what self-made millionaires do: they make money—typically not all that much—spend far less than they take home, and invest it into things that will make that money grow and work for them.